Health Insurance Carriers in Virginia (VA)
Virginia has different regulations on health insurance
plans and providers than any other state. Click on the links provided
below to explore the options available.
Get more information on health insurance >>
Health Insurance Providers in Virginia
Anthem Blue Cross and
Blue Shield of Virginia
Assurant Health (Formerly Fortis)
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
Fairmont Specialty Group /
Kaiser Permanente of
the Mid-Atlantic States
Group Health Insurance in Virginia
- Eligible applicants may not be denied or
charged more for coverage due to health problems.
- Life changes related to family or unemployment may create
eligibility for special opportunities for group coverage.
- A new employer may require a wait period before offering
coverage and a new HMO may also impose an affiliation period.
- A provider may review an applicant’s medical history
for the six months prior to application.
- In the case of a pre-existing condition, coverage may
be excluded for up to 12 months.
- Special rules apply to late enrollment.
- If coverage is continuously maintained, with no breaks
longer than 63 days, creditable coverage may apply.
Small Business Health Insurance in Virginia
- Small business owners with up to 50 employees
may not be denied group coverage or be cancelled based on the
sickness of any employees.
- Standard and essential plans must be made available.
- There are no limits on premium prices except for standard
or essential small group plans.
more information >>
Self-Employed Health Insurance in Virginia
- The self-employed may not purchase group
- Contact the Virginia Bureau of Insurance for information
on affiliations with a business or professional association for
the purpose of acquiring group coverage.
Virginia Bureau of Insurance
1300 E. Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Individual Health Insurance in Virginia
- Insurance for individuals has different
rules than group coverage.
- Except for Blue Cross Blue Shield, private individual
insurance providers may deny coverage based on health problems,
unless the applicant is HIPAA eligible.
- Anthem and CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield companies
must write an individual policy, despite any health problems.
- There are no limits on the cost of premiums or renewals.
- In the case of a pre-existing condition, providers may
attach elimination riders or require exclusion periods for up
to 12 months.
- Regulations concerning pre-existing condition are different
for individual policies than group plans.
- Pregnancy can be considered a pre-existing condition,
but genetic information may not.
- Individual policies may not be cancelled based on sickness.
Virginia Health Care Programs
Medicaid, Family Access to Medical Insurance
Security, and Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program
are available for low income individuals.
more information about health insurance >>