Health Insurance Carriers in Indiana (IN)
To help you navigate the health insurance field, we have provided for you a brief summation of plans and providers in Indiana. We have also included a list of recommended links for further assistance.
Health Insurance Providers in Indiana
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Indiana
Assurant Health (Formerly Fortis)
Fairmont Specialty Group / TIG
Request more information >>
Individual Health Insurance in Indiana (including Self-Employed)
- For individual health insurance, application for coverage may be denied because of a health problem.
- If there is a pre-existing condition, providers can require a waiting period for coverage of up to 12 months, but no elimination riders are allowed.
- In assessing pre-existing conditions, insurance providers may review medical history of the six months prior to coverage starting.
- If group coverage was maintained without a break of more than 30 days, credit can be applied toward an exclusion period.
- Coverage cannot be cancelled due to illness.
- There are no limits on the cost of an individual policy.
- If coverage with a small group health has been maintained continuously for 90 days, and the coverage is lost, an applicant qualifies for a conversion policy.
Self-Employed Health Insurance in Indiana
- The self-employed may not buy group health insurance.
- Contact the Indiana Department of Insurance for regulations that apply to membership in professional associations offering group coverage.
Group Health Insurance in Indiana
- Group health coverage cannot be denied qualified individuals due to a health concern and they cannot be charged more, either.
- Due to life changes relating to family and job loss, special enrollment opportunities may be available.
- Employers can wait to offer coverage.
- The review period for pre-existing conditions is six months and the maximum exclusion period is 12 months.
- If continuous coverage is maintained with no break of more than 63 days, creditable coverage may be available.
- Some Indiana government employees have protections within group coverage. Contact employer for possible inclusion.
Request more information >>
Small Business Health Insurance in Indiana
- Small businesses with up to 50 employees cannot be denied group coverage.
- Limited increases may be applied to premiums due to certain characteristics of the employee group
- Coverage will not be cancelled due to health issues.
Indiana Health Care Programs
Indiana Department of Insurance
311 West Washington Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- The Indiana Department of Insurance offers a helpful guide for residents seeking health insurance.
- The Indiana Comprehensive Health Insurance Association is for those who cannot afford health coverage.
Request more information about health insurance >>